In the previous article from this cycle you can read about popular ideas on digital products. In the current publication we will take a closer look on one of the forms of digital product, namely on e-book. Read more to find out what is an e-book and what are its advantages.
What is an e-book? – table of contents:
What is an e-book?
Accordingly to the definition of an e-book it is an electronic book or else item characterized as “literary work in the electronic version”. The term e-book is an abbreviation from an “electronic book”. It can exist in many formats such as: pdf, rtf, and doc. To find out more about e-books formats read our article: “The most popular e-book formats”.
An e-book may be composed of written content as well as pictures and graphics. Such e-books are designed to be opened, read and used on electronic devices. One can use dedicated for this purpose electronic reader, or a laptop, tablet or smartphone.
Advantages of e-books
Among the advantages the most frequently listed by e-book’s followers:
- easy access – in comparison to paper books, e-books can be downloaded practically immediately, the client doesn’t have to wait for the book to be dispatched from the magazine and delivered by the courier,
- lower prices – there are a lot free e-books on the market, while the paid ones are much cheaper comparing to traditional books,
- comfort of use – books in electronic form can be opened at any moment, at any time, on the phone or another device. Electronic readers, which the most frequently used to read e-books are much lighter and take less space than paper books,
- adjustment to the user’s needs – while reading e-books with the use of electronic devices we can adjust such elements as: font or image brightness to our preferences,
- easy storage – electronic books don’t need shelves for storage, hence they don’t collect dust and take up your space. Additionally, we don’t have to worry about fading pages with earmarks throughout,
- environmental issues – choosing e-books instead of paper books influence and elimination of printing saves trees and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
E-book vs. paper book
Disputes between supporters of traditional books and advocates of electronic books are easily visible on many internet forums of reading lovers. It is difficult to name any particular shortcomings of e-books since reading them is not comparable as an experience to traditional reading practice. Many enthusiasts of paper publications specify two disadvantages, that not really related to the e-books themselves but to the mere experience of reading them.
Some of the readers cannot convince themselves to use e-books because they prefer books in their physical form and they miss the experience of traditional reading. They like to turn pages and feel the smell of paper as well as to hear the sound of riffled pages. Some readers appear to enjoy having books, collecting them and creating home libraries.
However, all this doesn’t make e-books superfluous. It is enough to take just a close look into statistics to see how e-books have grown in popularity during the pandemics, when all stationary shops were closed due to the restrictions. During that time it was much easier to buy e-books than paper books and they seemed to be safer alternative for printed materials. All this is shown by the figures revealing that the sales of e-books increased in 2020 by 22% in comparison to 2019. Despite the fact that in 2021 sales dropped still the figures were higher than before the pandemics.
Statistics related to e-books
It was already mentioned that e-books grow in popularity. Let’s take a look at the statistics related to this market.
Who reads books? Statistics, which were made on the American public show that:
- 33% of the respondents read books in both forms of an e-book and paper book,
- 32% of the respondents read only paper books,
- 9% of the respondents choose only electronic versions of books.
Most of the people, who read books are university graduates. Additionally, the important factor influencing readership is income – 86% of readers earn more than 75 000 US dollars per year. Accordingly to the data, in 2020 in the USA 191 million of e-books were sold. Despite the fact that paper books still bring the highest profits on the publishing market, the popularity of electronic equivalents is constantly increasing.
Many people seem to be convinced that paper books will remain with us forever. In spite of the prevailing popularity of paper books, e-books are being chosen more frequently as an alternative for traditional books or as a form of complementing their reading journey. It is worth to follow the market because a large part of the readers is convinced that e-books will be evolving in the future. Hence, the new opportunities will arise for publishing companies as well as for independent publishers.
The most important questions
What are e-books?
E-books are just books in their electronic form, which are being created in different formats such as pdf or doc. E-books are intended to be used on electronic readers and other electronic devices.
What are the advantages of e-books?
E-books have many advantages, which are easy to spot on: accessibility, user friendliness, lower prices, adjustability to readers needs, easiness of keeping, eco-friendliness.
Create & sell digital products:
- What are digital products?
- Why you should create your own digital products?
- 8 digital product ideas
- Best sales models to sell digital products
- How to use subscription model to sell products?
- What is an e-book?
- What to write an ebook about
- How to create an ebook?
- 8 examples of best ebook creation software
- How to create an ebook in Canva?
- 11 common ebook writing mistakes to avoid
- 5 ebook publishing mistakes to avoid
- 10 best platforms for selling ebooks
- 7 reasons to write an ebook for your business
- What are online courses?
- Types of online courses you can create and sell
- 9 features of a good internet course
- 7 things you need to do before creating an online course
- How to create your own online course?
- The best online course creation tools
- How to record online video courses?
- How to sell online courses?
- Best online course marketplaces
- Best online course platforms
- Online templates: 7 ideas for online templates that sell
- How to sell Canva templates: 6 steps to the final product
- Best online marketplaces to sell templates online
- What are stock images?
- How to make a stock photo? 10 great tips for awesome images
- How to sell stock photos?
- What is stock music?
- 6 stock music libraries to make money
- How to sell stock videos online?
- What is software? Types and methods of distribution
- How to sell your software?
- How to create your own mobile app?
- 5 programs to build apps without coding
- How to sell mobile apps?
- 6 models of app monetization
- How to sell digital products on Etsy?
- How to sell digital products on Shopify?
- What do you need to know about selling digital products internationally?