In the realm of digital products, the future starts today. We are always one step away from the next breakthrough innovation. That’s why it’s useful to understand how technology affects digital products and how we can use this knowledge to create an effective product strategy. But how do other companies leverage the latest trends? How to avoid pitfalls when planning the future of a digital product? What is the future of product design? Read our article and find out.
The future of product design – table of contents:
The future of product design
A trend in relation to digital products is a direction or pattern of change in demand, preferences, or innovations associated with digital technologies. Digital trends can affect the development and needs of the economy, society, culture, and science. That’s why understanding how technology trends impact the future of product design and development is critical to a company’s long-term success.
SettingThe impact of technology on product design
Key technologies that significantly shape product design include:
- Metaverse – the metaverse is an “unlimited and virtual reality” where people can create, collaborate and interact with others. For example, Roblox has created a platform that allows users to build their own virtual worlds that they can visit and connect with each other.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) – is a technology that allows machines to learn, understand and make decisions based on data. AI can be used for analyzing images, recognizing speech, generating text, or optimizing processes. For example, Replika offers a personalized assistant that can talk to users about various topics, adapting to their moods and preferences.
- Cloud computing – a service that provides access to computing and storage resources over the Internet. Cloud computing allows for scalability, flexibility, and cost savings in data and application management. For example, Google Docs is a web-based application that allows users to create, edit and share documents online, without the need to install additional software.
Trends in digital product development
Among the trends in digital product management, there are three that are currently the most important:
- Automation – optimizes processes, making the product more efficient. For example, GitHub Actions automates development processes, such as tests or software implementation.
- Personalization – tailors the product to the users’ specific needs. Spotify analyzes users’ music preferences and creates personalized playlists for them on that basis.
- Sustainability – a trend that is gaining traction as more and more companies become aware of their impact on the environment. For instance, Ecosia, a search engine, funds tree-planting initiatives.
Forecasting as a key tool in product design
Forecasting is an important tool for planning the future of a product. It allows companies to predict what technologies and trends will affect the market in the coming months or years. There are three basic forecasting methods:
- Trend analysis – this method involves analyzing past data and trends. On the one hand, it relies on consistent and representative historical data. On the other, it assumes that trends will continue into the future, which is not always true.
- Judgemental methods – rely on expert opinions. They allow companies to benefit from expert knowledge and experience but are also inherently subjective.
- Simulation and scenario analysis – this method is based on creating mathematical and computer models that mimic reality to predict future events. Although it’s extremely complex and imprecise, it lets you predict complicated dependencies and changes.
Planning the future of product design is a key aspect of any business strategy. Using the latest trends and technologies to your advantage, as well as the ability to combine different techniques to predict future changes, are entrepreneurs’ essential skills. A project manager should understand how technology affects the product, and analyze trends to forecast the direction of change as effectively as possible.
Following trends, exploring new technologies, and constantly refining the product are elements that should be deeply rooted in a digital product strategy. Using and understanding these elements properly can bring significant benefits, both now and in the future.
- Intro to product management
- What is the role of a product manager?
- Why is product lifecycle management important?
- How to build an efficient product strategy?
- OKRs vs SMART goals. Which framework drives better results?
- How to define a value proposition?
- Identifying customer needs and market segmentation
- Crafting a winning product concept. Techniques and steps
- Gaining an edge with an effective product roadmap
- Prototyping your digital product
- How to build an MVP?
- MVP vs MMP vs MMF. Key milestones in product development
- Mastering hypothesis testing
- Proven methods for improving product quality management
- Strategies and tactics for a successful product launch
- Driving profitability through product optimization
- Measuring product success
- How to price a product? The most popular pricing strategies
- The future of product design. Top trends and predictions
- When to retire a product? Key factors influencing EOL decisions
- Agile in product management
- Scrum and Kanban in product management.
- What is lean product management?
- Jobs to be Done. Creating products that customers truly need
- What is growth hacking?
- What is data-driven product management?
- A/B testing in product management
- Useful product management templates. Where to find them?
- Strategyzer tools in product management
- 5 useful product management tools
- How to create and manage product documentation?
- 6 essential tools for product managers
- How to use AI in product management